National Advisory Council
A volunteer body accountable to the brigade collective
An assembly is a group of members of an organization who meet periodically to make decisions about a specific area or scope of the organization.
Assemblies hold meetings, some are private and some are open. If they are open, it is possible to participate in them (for example: attending if the capacity allows it, adding points to the agenda, or commenting on the proposals and decisions taken by this organ).
Examples: A general assembly (which meets once a year to define the organisation's main lines of action as well as its executive bodies by vote), an equality advisory council (which meets every two months to make proposals on how to improve gender relations in the organisation), an evaluation commission (which meets every month to monitor a process) or a guarantee body (which collects incidents, abuses or proposals to improve decision-making procedures) are all examples of assemblies.
The National Advisory Council (NAC) serves the Brigade community and advises Code for America staff on the interests of the Brigade community.
In addition to its advisory role, the National Advisory Council helps Brigade network brigades build the skills they need to be successful community leaders. Members of the NAC have an expansive network and foster relationships around the country to build the civic tech movement and engage their local communities to improve government.
See also: https://brigade.codeforamerica.org/about/national-advisory-council/
Purpose of action
The National Advisory Council (NAC) serves the Brigade community by connecting Code for America staff to the needs of the Brigade community, matchmaking Brigades to one another to share learnings and ideas, supporting and cultivating community leaders, and leveraging the diverse talent that Brigades contain.
NAC members are elected by members of Brigades from the region in which they serve:
- Thad Kerosky (Northeast Region, Large MSA, Code for Boston)
- Micah Mutrux (Northeast Region, Small MSA, Code for BTV)
- Tyrek Shepard (Southeast Region, Large MSA, Code for Atlanta
- Froilán Irizarry Rivera (Southeast Region, Small MSA, Code for Puerto Rico)
- Mohith Rao (Central Region, Large MSA, OpenSTL)
- Janet Michaelis (Central Region, Small MSA, Code for Dayton)
- Patrick Collins (Mountains-Plains Region, Large MSA, Code for Denver)
- Erik Dodge (Mountains-Plains Region, Small MSA, Code for Nebraska)
- Bonnie Wolfe (Pacific Region, Large MSA, Hack for LA)
- Annie Steenson (Pacific Region, Small MSA, Code for San Jose)